chroot/quota
  • From: "JohnvD" <johnvd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:02:09 +0100
All,

Happy newyear first of all.

I have a problem : I have a user I want to end up in a chroot'ed environment
after login. (same environment as anonymous ftp user)

I am planning to use him to be able to write stuff to my ftp server
remotely. However, I do not want this user to be able to roam the
filesystem. (other people will use him as well) This is where chroot comes
in.

Furthermore I want to enable quota support for this user. I am running
suse6.4 with kernel 2.2.16.
No quota software is currently installed.

I have set his homedir to /usr/local/ftp/pub, his shell is /bin/false.
Also, to allow anonymous downloads, this user is member of "daemon" group.
So that when you upload something as this user, anonymous ftp users can
immediately download it.

At this point in time it was the best compromise between ease of use and
security I could come up with.

My questions are :
>> how do I set up the chrooted env for this user ?
>> quota , help !!
>> Is this OK, or does anybody have better ideas to achieve the same goals
??

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions,
JohnvD.

  • No further messages