AW: [suse-security] Lan
  • From: "OKDesign oHG Security Administrator" <security@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:25:03 +0100

> Hi All,
>
> I have a nt 4.0 network with winxp en 2 suse linux 7.3 pc's. In the tree
of the
> network i can see mij windows machines but not the Linux machines. Wat
> can I do to show them in the networklist (tree) and also keep it safe

In order to see them in the windows-nw-tree and to access them from windows,
you have to install SAMBA.
With this tool you can access folders on the linux machine as if this were
folders on windows-machines.
Samba is part of SuSE-Linux, just install it and configure /etc/smb.conf (or
/etc/samba/smb.conf depending on the SuSE-Verison you use). Also define
START_SMB="yes" in /etc/rc.config. Then start it with "rcsmb start" et
voila: You now should see you shared folders on the linux-machine(s).

Stephan