Re: [suse-security] remote admin: ssh vs. webmin
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:06:29 +0100 (MET)
> > Therefore I never type a password except for the screensaver, I usually
> > don't log on as root if I don't have to. Using a password to become root
> > remotely though is not an option.
> >
> So how do you get the root rights for example by sudo if you never type
> a password. Or did I get it wrong ?

On machines where user accounts are only for admins to get root, yes.

In such a case, the entity "user" is the border between remote and local:
If you are local, then you have a user. Since access to such a user
account implies that it's equivalent to root, these user accounts have to
be protected just the same way as root. I don't see any reason why to
handle the level of protection differently.

Roman.