Re: [suse-security] Setup of Sendmail with AUTH using cyrus-sasl
  • From: Andreas Amann <andreas.amann@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:55:49 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Evert Smit wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> by now i found out how to set this up, after spending 3 days of research (i
> am sorta new to this :) )
>
> Here the link that runs you through the setup of Sendmail >=8.10 using
> cyrus-sasl to enable sendmail authentication. also i am wondering about your
> oppinion. Is this a good solution, is it a hack, what do you think
>
> http://www.ledge.co.za/scripts.phtml?page=smtpauth

Without being something like a sendmail expert, i would say it is the
normal way to configure sendmail. But have a closer look at the auth
mechanisms you use. Some of them are not supported by default in libsasl.
You can also find a very detailed explanation of setting up SMTP AUTH with
sendmail at Claus Assmann's Homepage
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html or in the file
/usr/share/sendmail/README sect. "SMTP AUTHENTICATION".

> btw, if someone could mail me the syntax for the following solution
> smtp over ssl, while running sendmail as independant deamon.
>
> probabbly someting like
> smtps stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/stunnel smtp -p
> /usr/local/ssl/certs/mail.pem -r smtp

Have a look at http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/starttls.html and/or
/usr/share/sendmail/README sect. "STARTTLS".
Sendmail supports the newer STARTTLS SMTP extension as defined in RFC2487.
AFAIK newer versions of Outlook (>97?) also support it when connecting to
port 25 but switch over to SMTPS when using a different port (i.e. 465).
So you probably don't need a wrapper.
Maybe you will find more information about that when doing a search over
one of the archives for newsgroup comp.mail.sendmail.

--
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Andreas Amann < andreas dot amann at epost dot de >