Re: [suse-security] Is bind 9.1.0 secure?
  • From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 20:04:30 +0100
* Jörg Frühbrodt wrote on Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 00:19 +0100:
> > Will I be safe with Suse's package of bind (9.1.0) in Suse 7.1?
> bind 9 is buggy and not safe - neither SuSE's nor Redhat's. It's all ISC...
>
> I recommend reading http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/blurb/unbind.html and using djbdns:

We had a discussion about djbdns on a local maillinglist in
Berlin. It's not offering all features that bind offers. I don't
know if zone transfers are supported currently, some time ago you
had to fiddle around with rsync or such things. For non-trivial
setups (i.e. some hunderds zones and a handful secondaries) I
would not recommend such approach but use bind8 instead. If you
need cryptography, I think there is no way around bind9
currently. For a small private caching only server djbdns may be
a nice solution.

oki,

Steffen