Two questions about services on the local host and SuSEfirewall2?
  • From: Paul Elliott <pelliott@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:05:45 -0600

Q1)
Does it make sense or is it usefull to talk about the loopback interface
as a trusted interface?
FW_DEV_INT="lo"

Or is this in some sense builtin?

Q2)
Is there any reason while the "root" account can not start a local
xterm, but other users can?

Password:
hrnowl:/home/pelliott # xterm
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root user.
The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
hrnowl:/home/pelliott # echo $DISPLAY
:0
hrnowl:/home/pelliott #

How do I do I change this? Only for the localhost, A similar problem
is preventing me from doing a "make xconfig"

Thank You.

P.S.
I would be using the personal firewall rather than SuSEfirewall2
except I have to cut a hole for my connection to my ntp server
for chrony.

--
Paul Elliott 1(512)837-1096
pelliott@xxxxxx PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J