Re: [suse-security] Why MY ftp failed always
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 05:17:12 +0100 (MET)

> > 421 Service not available, remote server has closed
> > connection
> >

> > i changed the file like
> >

> > Search for the following entries in /etc/inetd.conf :
> > ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd wu.ftpd -a
> > # ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd
> >

> You have to start inetd daemon, if it is started then reload it for changes
> to take effect.
> Also make sure that wu-ftpd is installed (in your case), I would recomend
> ProFTPD instead.
>
> /etc/rc.d/inetd reload

Also wrong. The error message from the client

"421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"

indicates that the tcp connection has been established but then closed
very soon after. This usually happens if inetd can't run the daemon that
it is supposed to start. In our case, inetd runs /usr/sbin/tcpd, the
tcp-wrapper, and this one will want to run wu.ftpd. It is highly likely
that the wuftpd package isn't installed (See with "rpm -q wuftpd"). Get it
from the update directory on ftp.suse.com. It had security weaknesses
lately.