Re: Fwd: Can I create/activate a 2nd loopback device?
  • From: Paul Elliott <pelliott@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:21:02 -0600

> How do I -- is it possible to create or activate a second loop device?
>
> What would be the commands do do this?

I have done some research, and I believe I have the answer to my own question.

First I do not want to use IP aliasesing. That means more than one IP
number for the same loop back 'device'. I believe data going into
one alias would be available to be read at both on the other 'end'.
Programs bound to one alias would recieve connections from both.
Clearly that is not what I want.

However I believe it is possible to patch the kernel to create more
that one actual loopback 'device'. I believe a patch has already
been published to do this:

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9509/0204.html

I believe that if I install this patch I will get 2 seperate
loopback 'devices' one of which can be used for security testing.

Please tell me if I have gotten all this correctly?

Thank You.

--
Paul Elliott 1(512)837-1096
pelliott@xxxxxx PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J