SuSEfirewall2 blocks all external network traffic to or from any computer on my nework, including the firewall-machine itself
  • From: "Sebastian J. Bronner" <waschtl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:29:35 -1000
I have a problem that I haven't seen addressed in the archives.

I have configured my gateway computer according to the Scenario 3 (a small
university wants to use masquerading to provide internet access to its
internal network) in the EXAMPLES file with the following settings:

FW_DEV_EXT="eth0:0"
FW_DEV_INT="eth0"
FW_ROUTE="yes"
FW_MASQUERADE="yes"
FW_MASQ_NETS="192.168.0.0/24"

Of course, I also set
START_FW2="yes" in /etc/rc.config.

Whenever I start the firewall, I am unable to ping the outside world from the
gateway machine itself or any machine configured to use it as a gateway.

This configuration worked with SuSEfirewall(1), but now that I'm using kernel
2.4.16, I really think I aught to use SuSEfirewall2.
--
Sebastian J. Bronner
waschtl@xxxxxxxxxxxx