Re: [suse-security] Re: SuSEfirewall2 blocks all external network traffic to or from any computer on my nework, including the firewall-machine itse
  • From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:15:25 +0100
* Sebastian J. Bronner wrote on Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:23 -1000:
> On Monday 28 January 2002 00:34, you wrote:
> > Sebastian J. Bronner wrote (on 27 Jan 2002 at 21:29):
> > > I have a problem that I haven't seen addressed in the archives.
> > >
> > > I have configured my gateway computer according to the Scenario 3
> > > (a small university wants to use masquerading to provide internet
> > > access to its internal network) in the EXAMPLES file with the
> > > following settings:
> > >
> > > FW_DEV_EXT="eth0:0"
> > > FW_DEV_INT="eth0"

Did you tried:

FW_DEV_EXT="eth0"
FW_DEV_INT="eth0"

?

> Yes, it does. I know that this isn't an optimal configuration, as it can
> lead to traffic collisions, but it should still work (as it has in the past).

Really cool statement, plugging the internal network into the big
bad internet, configuring a firewall with a single network card
and finally think about traffic collisions... hum.

In your case, I would set up masq by IP range, not by interface.
I don't know what SuSEfirewall does.

oki,

Steffen