Re: [suse-security] Online Update
On Wednesday 30 January 2002 09:42, Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> * Roman Drahtmueller wrote on Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 14:02 +0100:
> > > Does/will Yast online update support HTTP (or at least http proxy)?
> >
> > We are working on http support.
>
> Hum; is SuSE reinventing the wheel and implements an own FTP
> client? Couldn't you just use wget or a similar tool?

And rpm itself supports ftp proxies.

> BTW: Is YOU meant for servers or for desktops only? I just gave
> it a quick view (wasn't working :)), my fault I think, but it
> seems to delete downloaded RPMs after installation.

It only does that if you have 'Remove source-packages after update' option
checkbox ticked on the Online Update Confirmation dialog. I do find that
option poorly named as 'source-packages' to me, makes me think of source
rpm's not the binary packages that you install.

If you never delete and just leave the rpms you'll find /var/lib/YaST will
get very large with updated rpm's after a while.

Rob