Re: [suse-security] Re: SuSEfirewall2 blocks all external network traffic to or from any computer on my nework, including the firewall-machine itse
  • From: "Sebastian J. Bronner" <waschtl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 02:03:21 -1000
On Tuesday 29 January 2002 23:15, Steffen Dettmer wrote:

> Did you tried:
>
> FW_DEV_EXT="eth0"
> FW_DEV_INT="eth0"

I have. It does not work either. It worked with SuSEfirewall(1), but now
with SuSEfirewall2, the examples explicitly state that the eth0:0 syntax can
be used.

> Really cool statement, plugging the internal network into the big
> bad internet, configuring a firewall with a single network card
> and finally think about traffic collisions... hum.

At this point, find your input hardly constructive. It seems as though you
are trying to show everyone else what a great network administrator you are,
rather than seriously trying to add to the pool of knowledge.

> In your case, I would set up masq by IP range, not by interface.
> I don't know what SuSEfirewall does.

I have a script that works that I can use until I get SuSEfirewall2 working,
but that is not an optimal configuration, as it does not integrate nicely
with the other processes, but is rather tacked on to the booting process as
an afterthought. In SuSEfirewall, masquerading is performed on the indicated
interfaces, but limited to a subnet specified with another variable.
--
Sebastian J. Bronner
waschtl@xxxxxxxxxxxx