Re: [suse-security] Online Update
  • From: JW <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:15:06 -0600

> I really applaud the decision several releases ago to integrate the
>update packages by symlink into the /current/ tree. So an FTP install is
>truly current from the get-go. But when I run YOU, it immediately wants
>to re-download some packages I just installed!

You are not wholly correct here. I don't think I mentioned this since it wasn't part of the security problem, but I trashed my MySQL installation and had to remove it and then do an ftp install with yast. I was surprised to find that the packages yast installed were old ones, and I had to run YOU to update them again.

Once I got to thinking about that I decided that was probably a feature, not a bug, in case there was some reason you _had_ to use the older version.

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com