Re: [suse-security] Online Update
  • From: JW <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:59:05 -0600
At 06:41 PM 1/30/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Why is this a surprise?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, I just assumed that any "bad" package would be replaced by it's update in the FTP tree. As I said, once I got to thinking about it, it made sense.

>This was always the case. A distribution tree is
>comparable to a CD. If you install from CD, you have to upgrade your
>installation as well.
>

>> Once I got to thinking about that I decided that was probably a feature,
>> not a bug, in case there was some reason you _had_ to use the older
>> version.
>
>It's neither of them. You install a distribution, then you apply the
>patches.

That's fine, though it *could* be done either way, I think. After all, there's not technical reason the updates couldn't be integrated into the FTP tree if that's what SuSE wanted to do, is there? Maybe there is, I don't know and don't particularly care, but I can't think of any.

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com