Re: [suse-security] DHCLIENT, masquarding and firewall
  • From: "Robert C. Paulsen Jr." <paulsen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:11:21 -0600
On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 04:14:47PM -0800, Ryan Allen wrote:
> Hi SuSE Security,
>
> I'm new to this list. Due to changed to Excite at home shutting down, I
> had to make some changes to my firewall config. I used to have a static
> IP and everything worked great, but now I have a dynamic IP assigned via
> DHCP. Behind my SuSE 7.1 machine, I'm running a LAN that uses
> masquerading through the SuSE machine.
>
> I'm getting my DHCP offer just fine, and have hull access to the
> Internet from my SuSE machine, but I cannot access the Internet from any
> machine behind the SuSE machine. I've tweaked everything I can in
> /etc/rc.config.d/firewall.rc.config and restarted my firewall many
> times. Any ideas?

Do you have the following enabled in /et/rc.config:

#
# Runtime-configurable parameter: forward IP packets.
# Is this host a router? (yes/no)
#
IP_FORWARD="yes"

I believe it is set to "no" by default. You will next need to reboot
or run the following command (as root):

Robert Paulsen paulsen@xxxxxxxxx