How can sshd be turned off and on via a browser on a suse distro?
  • From: phil <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:23:31 -0800
I have been trying to figure out how to get sshd to start and stop via a
browser. If I call rcsshd stop or rcsshd start from a cgi script it won't
find the keys.

In general I have the cgi script call sshd like so:

if variable = variable
then
system rcsshd start
else
system rcsshd stop

there's a little more to it than that (obviously), and I know it can work, I
just can't get suse to cooperate.

I've tried calling sshd from /etc/ssh, from /usr/sbin etc none of these
methods will seem to work

The reasons I wish to do this:

1. crackers won't see a port open when they scan.
2. the html page for controling sshd can be obscured.
eg.
http://somewhere/lkjsfkjsfljsdfh/123987kjghkjhdfgkh/lkjsdflkjsldfkjlskdjf.cgi

3. an .htaccess can be used to protect the page which the cracker would need
to know the name and password for.
4. even if said cracker could find obscured page, and hack name and pass,
they still would need to find the correct name and password to actually logon
the sshd.
5. sshd seems to be starting the same trend as "wu_ftp" and such.

Future idea:

Doing the same for ftpd.
Need to somehow write a fresh inet.d and HUP it somehow... ?

Thanks
phil

< Previous Next >