Re: [suse-security] Permission problem with Apache
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 01:28:36 +0100
On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 09:43:28AM +1100, Jasmine Davis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am setting up apache 1.3.19 on our Suse 7.1 server & I am have a problem
> with mapping ~user to public_html.
>
> After creating the public_html directory in the user directory & placing an
> index page in it. I then try typing in the url http://my.server/~user I get a
> 403 error, "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /~user on this
> server".

There is another pitfall (unlikely, but it comes to my mind). If you
request the URL http://my.server/~user instead of
http://my.server/~user/ (note the missing trailing slash!) your apache
will send a so-called redirection to the same URL _with_ trailing slash.
For this to function, you need the ServerName directive to be configured
correctly (i.e. to your hostname).

On a fresh installation of apache the ServerName directive might contain
something like linux.local, which would result in a redirect to the host
linux.local, which you won't be able to reach, of course.

On a SuSE system, you would probably have run SuSEconfig which modifies the
ServerName entry in http.conf according to the fully qualified hostname
(which is derived from the FQHOSTNAME variable in /etc/rc.config). But
on a host which is a dhcp client, FQHOSTNAME is possibly not set, so
this mechanism can't not work! Ergo, also try it with a trailing slash,
which is all I wanted to say ;)

Peter

--
VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...