Re: [suse-security] can't restart sshd after updgrade
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:44:40 +0200
* Peter Poeml; <poeml@xxxxxxx> on 04 Dec, 2001 wrote:
> Normally this would work (provided that the command rcsshd is in your
> path -- but I guess you checked the at job output).

yes sshd was restarted

> In your case it could be due to an issue special to 7.1. You need an
> uptodate version of the sysvinit package (it's on ftp.suse.com),
> otherwise after an update of the sshd binary it won't be killed by the
> killproc program (that is used within the /etc/init.d/sshd script). This
> was a bug.

Ok I have checked the version of sysvinit.rpm on my box it says
2.78-143. I could not find an updated sysvinit.rpm on the 7.1 updates
directory of the ftp ( I have used ftp.suseturkey.com and ftp.gwdg.de to
be sure). However there happens to be an updated sysvinit.rpm with
version 2.78-151 on the ftp if I go to the 7.1 ftp tree (not the
update). Checking the changelog of the rpms give a diff of nothing since
they are identical meaning whatever the bug that you mention if it is
corrected then it is not mentioned. So giving the benefit of doubt I am
assuming the bug you mention is fixed.

On the other hand I would have expected a two line changelog added to
the new rpm and placing the new rpm to the updates directory. Though it
is not security bug it should be mentioned on the updates listing on
http://www.suse.de/en/support/download/updates/71_i386.html

Anyway, if it was not this bug I would not had learned the trick of
running a second sshd on a different port and killing the original just
to get the new ssh running.

Hope in the future maintainers will be more generous in typing two more
lines: -)

--
Togan Muftuoglu