Re: [suse-security] can't restart sshd after updgrade
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 00:06:05 +0100
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 08:44:40PM +0200, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
> * Peter Poeml; <poeml@xxxxxxx> on 04 Dec, 2001 wrote:
> >
> > In your case it could be due to an issue special to 7.1. You need an
> > uptodate version of the sysvinit package (it's on ftp.suse.com),
> > otherwise after an update of the sshd binary it won't be killed by the
> > killproc program (that is used within the /etc/init.d/sshd script). This
> > was a bug.
>
> Ok I have checked the version of sysvinit.rpm on my box it says
> 2.78-143. I could not find an updated sysvinit.rpm on the 7.1 updates
> directory of the ftp ( I have used ftp.suseturkey.com and ftp.gwdg.de to
> be sure).

You are right -- I can't find a sysvinit.rpm update either. Sorry, I was
sure we had them... I probably confused it because I knew of that bug,
and I used to install a sysvinit update package which is available for
... 7.2 (for another problem).

> However there happens to be an updated sysvinit.rpm with
> version 2.78-151 on the ftp if I go to the 7.1 ftp tree (not the
> update). Checking the changelog of the rpms give a diff of nothing since
> they are identical meaning whatever the bug that you mention if it is
> corrected then it is not mentioned. So giving the benefit of doubt I am
> assuming the bug you mention is fixed.

Right... There is no difference apart from the RPM release number (which
only means that the package has been rebuild a couple of times).

> On the other hand I would have expected a two line changelog added to
> the new rpm and placing the new rpm to the updates directory.

The lines would be

* Thu Mar 22 2001 - werner@xxxxxxx
- Startproc/killproc: handle by RPM moved and deleted exe links
[...]
* Mon Mar 19 2001 - werner@xxxxxxx
- Startproc/killproc: handle deleted exe links

The dates tell that the changes are contained in 7.2, as apparently we
did not make update packages available. I will see if we shouldn't do
that.

> Though it is not security bug it should be mentioned on the updates
> listing on http://www.suse.de/en/support/download/updates/71_i386.html

It would :)

> Togan Muftuoglu

Peter

--
VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...

< Previous Next >