(OT) ip aliases
  • From: Schoenwaelder Oliver <oschoenwaelder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:08:43 +0100
Hi,

usually I'd say ip aliasing is no problem. We use it on several servers
without any problems.
But I have a prob with one server in DMZ which I investigated for hours and
don't found any reason for it's behaviour.
The machine's IP is x.x.x.251 and has some aliases: eth0:0 = .1
(dns.domain.com), eth0:1 (mail.domain.com), eth0:2 (extra.domain.com). I can
ping each ip (from same subnet or other nets) except the .1 address, neither
by name nor by ip. Doing a tcpdump on this interface shows no icmp packets
for this ip, for others there are packets as expected. It doesn't matter
whether I have a specifiy host route for each alias or not. And it's not
firewall/nat related because it doesn't work with both shut down, too. Ping
this ip or name from the server itself works of course.
I don't have any idea why this isn't working. Does anybody have one?

Thx,

Oliver

  • No further messages