Re: [suse-security] getting mad connecting to (x)ntpd
  • From: Guido Tschakert <gt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:04:21 +0100
Am Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2001 22:40 schrieb UKlaus-Mailinglistenaccount:
> Dear colleagues,
> i wonder if suse took some sophisticated measures to prevent the xntpd from
> being contacted by clients :-|
> I configured the server connecting to two "outside" servers as time
> sources. These connections work fine (shown with "ntpq -p"). The local
> source was left untouched. Now, if i try to "netdate" to this timeserver
> from a (linux) client, i immediately get the message "connection refused".
> Here's the ntpd.conf, maybe i've missed sth?
>
> Thanx a lot for your patience
> Uli
>

> server 127.127.1.0 # local clock (LCL)
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 # LCL is unsynchronized
>
> server 192.53.103.104 prefer
> server 212.19.48.35
>
> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift # path for drift file
>
> logfile /var/log/ntp # alternate log file
> logconfig =all
Hello,
Netdate uses a udp-connection (port 37, time, see /etc/services) by default.
Your server has to listen to udp-port 37, it has to be configured/enabled in
/etc/(x)inetd.conf.
BTW, as far as I know, netdate doesn't use the network time protokoll, it
just ask the server what time it has and sets it on the local box.

HTH
--
Guido Tschakert

< Previous Next >