cable modem router and traceroute
  • From: "Bill Eastman" <beastman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 07:23:55 -0600
The traceroute that ships with SuSE will not work with my cable modem
router. I contacted the manufacture, and learned that SuSE is using a
different traceroute than Red Hat and Mandrake. He sent me a link to ftp a
traceroute that will work.
/usr/sbin/mtr does work, as does ping.

The traceroute that Red Had and Mandrake are distributing includes a -I
option so it can be forced to use ICMP. The traceroute that comes with SuSE
does not have a -I option and uses only UDP.

What is the difference between the two traceroute programs? How is one more
secure than the other?

Bill