Re: [suse-security] Classical DOS attack on Linux
  • From: "Daniel T. Chen" <chenda@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:12:12 -0500 (EST)
Not necessarily. I agree that it's dismal, but all good system
administrators set appropriate ulimits for their users. See the ulimit
manpage for your shell(s). Parameters to pay particular attention to are
max open file descriptors, cpu seconds used, and processes available to
the user. (This is after a fleeting test here, so I've obviously not
caught everything.)

---
Dan Chen crimsun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
GPG key: www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[...]
> I thought that this type of problems were fixed in Linux (by
> limiting child processes etc) and I think that I tested this
> variant some years ago and the system refused to "go down".
[...]