Re: [suse-security] Someone using qmail+vpopmail+Amavis ?
  • From: Rainer Link <link@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:05:10 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Maarten van den Berg wrote:

[ I think it's better to ask in amavis-user ML _and_ qmail-ML.
Unfortunately, I'm not a qmail expert ]

> We're trying to implement amavis in our qmail setup, but it works only up
> to some degree; real local users (recipients) get a mail warning them of a
> virus being sent to them, but virtual users' addresses get re-written to
> something weird, thus receive no warnings.

Well, amavis itself does no rewriting at all.

> This only happens with virtual domains/users. We're now using the
> shellscript-version of Amavis, not amavis-perl. Partly because of the
> dependancies of the perl-version, and partly because it is not obvious by
> reading the docs what extra benefit the new amavis-perl offers...

Hum, with amavis 0.2.1 a mail can get scanned several times (that's by
design of linking qmail-local and qmail-remote to the amavis script) and
amavis 0.2.1 uses a lot of external programs. With amavis-perl (as it
"replaces" qmail-queue) a mail should be scanned only once, it uses a lot
of perl modules, so the use of external programs is reduced. I recommand
amavis-perl (or amavisd). Moreover, the active development of amavis 0.2.x
has stopped, because my time is too limited to work on several amavis
branches and it does not make sense to me to develop the shell script any
further (heck, in a few weeks I'm working for two years on amavis and I'm
currently not in the mood to "hack" on it all the day/night).

As an alternative, you may use qmail-scanner
(qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net). I really appreciate Jason's work and he
is focused on qmail.

So, any qmail experts are welcome to meet me (and Christian, former
AMaViS maintainer) at LinuxTag on Friday and/or Saturday. :-)

best regards,
Rainer Link

--
Rainer Link | SuSE - The Linux Experts