Re: [suse-security] Block port 6000
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:40:47 +0200 (MEST)

> I dont think that there is a way to keep X from listening on port 6000 (or
> some port) since it is a server running on your machine. It has to bind
> to a port and then the client connects to that port. That is why you can
> have multiple X sessions, running on different ports. If you dont want
> anything running on port 6000, dont run X. If you just dont want anyone
> else but yourself to connect to it, do
> ipchains -A input -s ! 127.0.0.1 -p tcp --dport 6000 -j REJECT

> >> You're not supposed to restart the X-server. Restart xdm! This will nuke
> >> the X-Server as well, of course...
> >
> >I should have written: "I *did* restart X".

Ok, this really seems difficult to understand:

I said "restart xdm". Not "restart X". Means: Add the "-nolisten tcp"
option to the Xserver startline in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers, then
killall -15 xdm
and see your X-session die. If everything is right, that is, and there
should not be a new X-server that starts up. Nuking the X-server alone
won't help since a new one will be started, most likely with the same
options as the one before.

Then, log on as root on the console and start xdm:

/etc/init.d/xdm start

Afterwards, see thhe output of "netstat -anp|grep LISTEN" and check your
open ports.

I'm using basically the same software as you do, so I wonder why it works
for me...

Roman.
--
- -