Re: [suse-security] Block port 6000
  • From: Martin Köhling <mk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:39:21 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Roman Drahtmueller wrote:

> > >I should have written: "I *did* restart X".
>
> Ok, this really seems difficult to understand:
>
> I said "restart xdm". Not "restart X". Means: Add the "-nolisten tcp"
> option to the Xserver startline in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers, then
> killall -15 xdm
> and see your X-session die. If everything is right, that is, and there
> should not be a new X-server that starts up. Nuking the X-server alone
> won't help since a new one will be started, most likely with the same
> options as the one before.
>
> Then, log on as root on the console and start xdm:
>
> /etc/init.d/xdm start

My setup is *slightly* different:
I normally don't run X (my default runlevel is 3); when I need X
I simply type "startx" (as a regular user).

When I select "logout" from the kde popup menu X is completely
terminated - no more listeners on port 6000; when I run "startx"
again X again listens on port 6000; this not really a problem since
the local firewall rules don't allow incoming TCP connects on any
random port - but I'd still like to turn this "feature" off...

> Afterwards, see thhe output of "netstat -anp|grep LISTEN" and check your
> open ports.

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 18299/X

> I'm using basically the same software as you do, so I wonder why it works
> for me...

Strange....

Martin