Re: [suse-security] Newbie firewall installation question
  • From: <dog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:56:58 -0500 (CDT)
do a custom install, dont select anything in x, kde, gnome, emacs. then
go through the other choices and take out things like apache, sendmail,
bind, nfs, lpr, mysql, staroffice, etc. I would do the following
partition scheme
/dev/hda1 / 500 meg
/dev/hda2 swap 128 meg
/dev/hda3 /usr 800 meg
/dev/hda4 /home rest of drive

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, De Loe, Maurits wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>At home I've an old P120 that I want to setup as a firewall-only machine.
>
>As I want to install as little as possible what's the best "quick" solution.
>Under Yast Select "Minimum" and after that Network and Security packages?
>
>Furthermore I was thinking to partition my disk with a app. 12MB /boot 128
>/swap (there's about 90 ram) and the rest app. 1G /
>Is that a "correct and smart setup for a dedicated firewall. Would LVM be an
>option? (Would think not but...)
>
>Any help would be appriciated. (Tried smoothwall before but Zyxel modem
>doesn't want to work whith chat, does with wvdial.
>
>Thank,
>
>Maurits

Chad Whitten
Network/Systems Administrator