Re: [suse-security] Should I be worried about the CodeRed Worm?
  • From: michael.ryan@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:35:45 +0100

This worm currently propagates by exploiting an unchecked buffer in the
Index Server ISAPI extension and applies only to web servers (IIS4 & 5)
running on WindowsNT and 2000.

Michael

Michelangelo van
Dam To: suse-security@xxxxxxxx
<michelangelo@adva cc:
lvas.be> Subject: [suse-security] Should I be worried about the CodeRed Worm?
Sent by:
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
futura.com

07/24/2001 11:19
AM
Please respond to
Michelangelo van
Dam

Dear all,

I'm hearing more noises that the Code Red Worm is becoming a serious
problem.

See : http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/codered.worm.html

Although they only mention Microsoft Windows 2000 and IIS webserver, I
can't find any clearance/danger notes for other webservers running on
systems different from Microsoft. Can someone verify that this worm has no
effect on Apache 2.3.20 running on S.u.S.E. 7.2 with Kernel 2.4.4?

Yours sincerely,

Michelangelo van Dam