Re: [suse-security] automatic backups over ssh/scp
  • From: Agustin Muñoz <agustin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:54:41 +0200
Maybe you're interested in use amanda (http://www.amanda.org) a excelent back-up program that enables you to backup a remote machine, and encrypt the data :)

Best regards

Agustin

At 14:35 31/07/01 +0200, you wrote:
I want to do the following:
backup all my sensitive date from my main server, pack it into one file
and then get it transfered to my backup server.

That's fine but my problem is that those two machines aren't in the same
local network. So if I do not encrypt my data it would be (more or less)
visible to everybody on the net (who has some hacking knowledge). But as I
said this data is sensible (passwords, creditcards, ...)! So I thought of ssh
or scp BUT how to automate this process of backing up? I would have to specify
user AND password in my backup-script. How do specify a password for
ssh / scp in a script??

Plese Help!
Luke