SuSE Linux Firewall
  • From: "Mary Sweat" <sweatm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 14:12:00 -0500
I am a newbie to the Linux world and have been given the task of setting up
a Linux firewall (a very basic one) on SuSE LINUX 7.0. I read the SuSE
Linux document regarding the firewall.rc.config file, and I have a
question. If I follow this documentation and define my
variables/parameters in this file do I need to do anything else (other then
reboot) to make the firewall work? The document seems to indicate that
once you have configured this file you are done, however, I have also heard
and seen different documents about IPChains which also defines filter
rules. So, to make the firewall work on SuSE Linux 7.0 do I have to use
the IPCHAINS utility and configure some filter rules, or am I through once
I configure the firewall.rc.config file. If I have to use the IPCHAINS
utility, does this utility work with the information defined in this config
file or is it totally separate? I am only trying to setup a basic
firewall, one interface to the outside world (no internal systems), web
server installed that allows incoming Internet traffic and a response
back.