RE: [suse-security] ssh, kernel updates
  • From: "Mr. M" <mistrM@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:41:07 -0800
> NO! BAD! Their (ssh.com) license is extremely restrictive despite
> the "free use"
> (limited) for Linux users. Use OpenSSH. It is free. The rest ARE NOT.

I agree completely with this. I see no reason to run a restrictive
commercial program on a OS that is Free Software especially when there is a
Free/Open alternative that works really well.

I'm using OpenSSH 2.3.0p1. It works really well for me. I've experienced
no problems whatsoever. Earlier releases of OpenSSH did have a tendence to
crash but things change rapidly especially in open source software.

I'd like to see a response to Roman's comment about OpenSSH lacking
functionality and stability.

Frankly, SSH1 worries me. It seems inherently insecure and is featured on
Bugtraq about as often as wuftpd - Exploit of the Month Club. ;)