Re: [suse-security] Re: password files for proftp
Hello Thom

Am Don, 30 Nov 2000 schrieb Thorsten Marquardt:

> Hello Magus
>
> Am 30-Nov-00 schrieb Magus Ba'al:
>
> > I got this from http://www.proftpd.net/docs/complex-virtual.conf
> >
> > AuthUserFile /where.ever.you.want.to.stick.it
> > AuthGroupFile /where.ever.you.want.to.stick.it
> >
> > What _I_ prefer to do is create a directory, let's call it /var/domains.
> > Because I host multiple domains, I put the auth files in /var/domains with
> > the name , and then create a dir in /var/domain/(domain name). It keeps it
> > neat and tidy for me if I ever need to find anything related to the
> > domain.
>
> so far so good. But I don't know how to create the AuthUserFile itself.

why don't you use the program 'htpasswd', afaik it's delivered with apache.

htpasswd makes a file with a username&password-File. this files contains in
each line one user. It's build like the /etc/passwd:

username:passwd:uid:gid:comments:Home-dir:shell

but with htpasswd, you've only the 1st and 2nd entry, the others have to be
edited by you.

that's the way I do it...

Max