Re: [suse-security] Firewall/Virusscanner
  • From: Rainer Link <link@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:09:21 +0100 (CET)
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 ralf.vroomen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Okay, you could install virusscanners on all worstation, but my goal is to
> catch the virus and those damn pokémon BEFORE they can reach the
> workstations.
>
> Anybody have some suggestions? A good scanner scanning incoming mail on my
> SuSE7.0 + Sendmail 8.10.2 would be a really nice too :)

Well, AMaViS or AMaViS-Perl, inflex, Protector or MIMEDefanger (which uses
the libmilter stuff introduced in sendmail 8.10.x, but libmilter is still
marked for future release). See www.openantivirus.org/av-unix_e.txt for a
list of commerical anti virus products and open source solutions to
integrate them into your eMail server (uh, reminds me to update this list
soon ...). There's no open source virus scanning engine right now and I'm
afraid this won't change in the near future.

See www.av-test.com for a recent product comparison of anti virus
programs for Linux.

HTH

P.S. The latest issue of the Information Security Bulletin (the german
edition) by CHI Publishing (http://www.chi-publishing.com/) covers this
topic, but I don't think this article will be translated for the
international edition.

best regards,
Rainer Link

--