Re: [suse-security] Firewall/Virusscanner Conclusion
  • From: Rainer Link <link@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:39:30 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Nix wrote:

> errm... AVP is definitely NOT free. I don't think you read the webpage very
> well :)
> Neither is InoculateIT. Just cause you can download it doesn't mean that
Correct :) IIRC only Trend Micro's FileScanner and AVX (don't mix it up
with AVP) is free (some products like Sophos Sweep or H+B EDV AntiVir are
freee for personal use only)

> After looking at the current FAQ for Amavis (http://www.amavis.org/FAQ.txt),
> I see that it still has the same limitation that made me use MFilter.
Hehe, well, a small quote from it:
"[editors note: please read README.sendmail, too. ]"

You are able to scan incoming/outgoing and relayed mail now - but it's a
hack and needs some improvements. It works for several ppl (but yes, the
setup causes sometimes trouble). But I suggest to use AMaviS-Perl and not
the "old" shell script - but your mileage may vary, of course.

> This is a BIG limitation in the design of Amavis and needs to be rectified
> b4 it will
> be able to act as a replacement for MIMESweeper or VirusWall (apporpriate tm's)
Well, AMaViS is currently developed by two persons and they do not work
full time on it. So, the development process is somewhat (too) slow and
please keep in mind we have to cope with qmail, exim and postfix, too, as
AMaViS does not work as SMTP proxy, as Trend Micro's InterScan VirusWall
does. You can not compare AMaViS with InterScan VirusWall.

> If you have a configuration where you need this (I have 100's of clients
> who do..)
> consider carefully b4 you use amavis as it will cause you alot of work.
Well, could you please give me some details on this issue?

> MFilter has the advantage of being a completely separate process to
> Sendmail/SMTPD
> and therefore is very flexible.....
Well, Mfilter, AMaViS, inflex, Protector, MIMEDefanger, Anomy Mail
Sanitizer and so on are all open source. You have the freedom to choose
the one which fits your requirements best and to have a look at the code
itself. I never really used MFilter and won't comment on it. I prefer to
discuss stuff with the author(s) of "competitor tools" via eMail
privately.

best regards,
Rainer Link

--