Re: [suse-security] TIS FWTK
  • From: Oliver Hensel <oliver.hensel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 00:48:59 +0100 (CET)
Hi

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000 jjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> And if you read the list, you will realize that I was referencing
> PMfirewall. Which is a frontend to ipchains.

True, but IPCHAINS it is *not* (just like PMfirewall, SINUS, gfcc, and all
those other front ends) an alternative to FWTK or any other proxy-based
and/or stateful firewall. IPCHAINS can perfectly act as part of a complete
firewall solution, but many other routers (every "enterprise" strength
router) has a built-in packetfilter with much higher performance and more
reliability (no moving parts!).

My posting was not only directed at your suggestion, in fact I agree with
you pretty much. I just wanted to point out that IPCHAINS has not at all
the functionality you get from proxy servers.

Greetings
olli