RE: [suse-security] /var/log/messages
  • From: "Raffy" <suse@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:49:56 +0100
> I have just installed SuSE 7 about a month ago and have not had any
messages
> recorded to /var/log/messages since Nov 21. Is this a sign of a healthy
system
> or could there be a problem?

I don't think your syslogd is running. (ps aux | grep syslogd) Normally
syslog is set up in a manner that it will print a "Mark" every now and then
in the logfile. So you SHOULD have some entries in there if it is working
correctly!
Or did you twiddle with your /etc/syslogd.conf? Make sure you have set the
correct routing for your messages in there.

Raffy

< Previous Next >