RE: [suse-security] European Council hacking-tools ban - update
  • From: Boris Lorenz <bolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:59:13 +0100 (MET)

On 13-Dec-00 Thomas Michael Wanka wrote:
> Hi,

[...]
> I do not care too much about the "hacker tools directive" as it will be hard
> define that at court. A "hacker tool" is nothing much but a sequence standard
> utilities and the use makes it a hacker tool, so it must be prooven that I
> tried to
> "hack" someone for it to become a hacker tool (like a citchen knive that is
> only
> a weapon when I use it a s a weapon).

I see your point but the european council is up to lay the power of developing
security applications in the hands of industrial conglomerates "certified" in a
special way, maybe according to some nebulous euro-standards. It would not be
too hard for the ec to persuade the eu members to replace their own cybercrime
legislation with such a catalogue of standard actions given the fear that is
spread of a vague mass of ghastly criminals commonly entitled "hackers" (yeah,
I know about the hacker-cracker thingy so keep your flames down ;).

> I am more worried about the access to log files I had to provide, and a
> mechanism that I cannot realise that someone accesses these files. And that I
> had to provide (and pay for) the bandwidth to access them. That basically
> implies, that I had no longer control about my traffic and may not even
> monitor
> it and in the end, I was not allowed to have access to my logfiles myself!
>
> I do not think that collecting voices against that will do any good. To me
> they
> will have some kind of such regulation and the only chance to overcome it ist
> to *not* obey to such regulations.
[...]

I disagree that going together and stating our opinions is useless. At least we
should show *some* reaction. All of us security oriented admins and developers
would suffer should this convention become reality.

I for myself would rather quit my job and burn all my computers than giving
some official sniff-snaff unrestricted and covered access to our web farm or
customer networks. I totally agree that a regulation only is effective if the
majority acts accordingly...

I think we will have a lot of phun in the future... :-/

Boris <bolo@xxxxxxx>
---

< Previous Next >