Re: [suse-security] SuSE security reputation, etc..
Hello,

On Wed, 02 Aug 2000, Len Rose wrote:
>It would be really great if SuSE could gain a reputation
>as being the most secure Linux implementation that exists today.
>Something like OpenBSD's reputation would be excellent, and
>from what I've seen SuSE could achieve this if they tried.
>
>I saw this on the mysql mailing list, and I'm sure others
>will see it there first, but just in case:
>
>http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/tech/FredMoody/moody.html
>
>It really sucks that SuSE wasn't even mentioned.
>
>Len

The bugtraq vulnerability report can be found on
http://www.securityfocus.com/vdb/stats.html

Please read the above report, and come to the following conclusions:

1. The abcnews article you mentioned really is a stupid rant
which is absolutely not worth discussing. Packed with lies,
with some numbers completely made up, and counting linux
vulnerabilities multiple times to make Linux look bad compared to
Microsoft. Besides, the author is a well-known, if not infamous,
Microsoft addict. I really hope this article does not spawn a
thread in this mailing list ...

2. SuSE does fairly well when compared to the other two
distros which are mentioned in the report (Debian and Red Hat),
even if you consider that SuSE is shipping a lot more packages
(and, besides, is also shipping a lot more than OpenBSD).

That said, I like your suggestion of making SuSE the most secure Linux
distro, so let's go on discussing real security issues ... ;-)

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin Leweling
Institut fuer Planetologie, WWU Muenster