Re: [suse-security] SuSE security reputation, etc..
  • From: Lenz Grimmer <grimmer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:44:04 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Simon wrote:

> > http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/export/autorpm-1.9.8.4-0.noarch.rpm
> > http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/export/autorpm-1.9.8.4-0.src.rpm
>
> I checked the dependencies, and discovered that I don't have perl_net
> installed - nor can I find that package on the distribution CDs or on
> any SuSE site.

You must be running SuSE Linux 6.3 or older, than. You can find a package
for SuSE Linux 6.4 here:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/6.4/suse/d1/perl_net.rpm

It should work on older SuSE Linux Versions, too. Otherwise you could
install the Perl modules libnet and Net-SNMP manually from CPAN.

> Besides, I have to admit that enabling this feature on a production server
> seems somewhat scaring to me (especially since site-hijacking and other DNS
> troubles are not so uncommon in these days...).
> I'd probably try it for a while on a user's workstation.

Yes, I totally agree. Automated updating should be taken with a grain of
Salt :)

Bye,
LenZ
Lenz Grimmer SuSE GmbH
mailto:grimmer@xxxxxxx Schanzaeckerstr. 10
http://www.suse.de/~grimmer/ 90443 Nuernberg, Germany
Winter in Arizona falls on a Tuesday this year.