Re: [suse-security] *.enc and the crypt command
  • From: "Kurt Seifried" <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 20:20:48 -0600
> Is anybody familiar with the `crypt` command, or script. I have a file
> in *.enc format and the instructions I get with it are as follows:
>
> crypt < filename.enc > filename.tar.Z
>
> Any words of advice on what "crypt" is? The distributor of the .enc
> file seems to expect me to have this file on either Solaris or *** ***
> Linux. I don't want to buy *** *** Linux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah distro bashing is so cool especially when you can download most of them
for free. Sigh. Why do I even bother, sometimes I really wonder.

crypt is a one way hash function for passwords/etc. The only crypt on my Red
Hat machines is the standard password hashing one (man 3 crypt). Any
encryption scheme needs a KEY to decrypt the file.

Darwin was right.

> Thanks,
>
> Steve

-Kurt