Re: AW: [suse-security] one-time passwords
  • From: Yuri Robbers <yuri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 21:05:17 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, OKDesign oHG Security Webmaster wrote:

> Sorry, butthis is a typical case to answer with
> RTFM ! :-))
>
> man usermod is your friend !

Thanks for your reply. But as a matter of fact I have Read a whole bunch
of FM's, including "man usermod".

Unfortunately usermod does something completely different from what I want
to implement: the only limit it can set on a password is an expiry date.

What I need is a password that can be used only for the _first_ ever login
of a user. After logging in the user would be presented with a query for a
new password, which is henceforth used in the normal way (the expiries and
stuff for this are already in place and working).

I hope my question is clearer now :o)

Kind regards,

Yuri.

> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to implement one-time passwords for newly created or updated
> > accounts, so that, when I, as sys-admin, set a password on a user account,
> > the user has to change it immediately upon logging in for teh first time,
> > after which the newly chosen password obeys teh regular aging rules as set
> > up in YaST. Could someone tell me how to do this, or point me to some
> > relevant info?
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> >
> > Yuri.

drs. Yuri Robbers phone : +31-71-527-4966
Leiden University fax : +31-71-527-4900
Institute for Theoretical Biology email : robbers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kaiserstraat 63
2311 GP Leiden PGP 5.0 public key available:
the Netherlands Check your favourite hkp server.