Re: [suse-security] one-time passwords
  • From: Jan.Trippler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jan Trippler)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 22:04:06 +0200
On Mit, Aug 09, 2000 at 09:05:17 +0200, Yuri Robbers wrote:

> What I need is a password that can be used only for the _first_ ever login
> of a user. After logging in the user would be presented with a query for a
> new password, which is henceforth used in the normal way (the expiries and
> stuff for this are already in place and working).
>
> I hope my question is clearer now :o)

Yes, indeed :-)

An idea (untested):
Create the user with your one way password and change the third
field in the /etc/shadow (days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was
last changed) in a way, that the password is expired. Then the user
is forced to change this password at his next login.

I performed a little test: It works but you have to check the seventh
field in /etc/shadow. The password must be expired but the account
has to be valid.

Jan

I hope you understood my english ;-)