Re: [suse-security] short introduction to myself + a (simple) problem
  • From: Jan.Trippler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jan Trippler)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 22:10:10 +0200
On Don, Aug 10, 2000 at 08:46:18 +0200, Michael Schoenwiese wrote:
[...]
> Since some days, my /var/log/messages shows every 20 minutes following
> lines, then sometimes it stops a few days doing so and sometimes it
> start doing it.
>
> Aug 8 00:12:30 mail -- MARK --
[...]

It's not a bug, it's a feature ;-)

This message is produced by syslogd and occurs when there's nothing
to log at a time of 20 minutes. You can call it the *heartbeat* of
your system. You see that the system is alive and if the machine
crashes for instance in a power failure you can get the approximated
time of the crash.

Jan