Re: [suse-security] DialUp with Firewall
  • From: Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:21:28 +0200
On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 18:58 +1000, Les Catterall wrote:
> Craig Wyndham wrote:
> >
> > I tried the /etc/ppp/ip-up script, but it seems to run too
> > early and fails to pick up the new address of the ppp
> > connection. If I then restart the firewall manually it works
> > fine, but then tends to stop passing traffic after a few
> > minutes.
> >
> > [ ... ]
>
> I use Red Hat Linux with the 2.0.36 kernel and "ipfwadm". I
> found I had to incorporate the attached snippet into
> "/etc/ppp/ip-up", to enforce a wait for the IP address to
> become available. I also include my "ppp_ip" script which is
> referenced within the snippet. This script simply returns the
> current IP address for the PPP session.

What did I miss when I feel you could easily take the newly
assigned address from one of ip-up's parameters? From reading
"man 8 pppd ipppd" (... /etc/ppp/ip-up ... "It is executed with
the parameters interface-name tty-device speed local-IP-address
remote-IP-address") I get that there shouldn't be any need for
these kind of hacks. Maybe this was just too easy ...

virtually yours 82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4 61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@xxxxxxx

List Navigation
Follow Ups