Re: [suse-security] DialUp with Firewall
  • From: dproc@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 06:05:51 -0400
On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> What did I miss when I feel you could easily take the newly
> assigned address from one of ip-up's parameters? From reading
> "man 8 pppd ipppd" (... /etc/ppp/ip-up ... "It is executed with
> the parameters interface-name tty-device speed local-IP-address
> remote-IP-address") I get that there shouldn't be any need for
> these kind of hacks. Maybe this was just too easy ...

Yes, very easy. The man page is right. Here is the start of my
ip-up. Only the last 3 lines are mine. Of course I didn't read the
man page either - I got the hint from reading the nice SuSE script! I
read How-Tos to make things work, and only read man pages when things
break. BTW by adapting the SuSE script using these parameters, I was
able to use SAMBA to connect a Windows laptop to my Workstation by ppp
over a serial cable, and still freely bring my modem link to the
Internet up and down (I was too mean to buy an ethernet card.)
Yours, dproc

#!/bin/sh

# (c) '97, S.u.S.E. GmbH, Fuerth, Germany
# Klaus Franken <kfr@xxxxxxx>
# 25.02.98
#
# Remo Behn <sray@xxxxxxx>
# 18.07.98

BASENAME=`basename $0`
INTERFACE=$1
DEVICE=$2
SPEED=$3
LOCALIP=$4
REMOTEIP=$5

# dproc May 19, 1999 for troubleshooting
now=`date`
echo "ip-up: The ip-up script ran at $now for $BASENAME connected by $INTERFACE $DEVICE at $SPEED for $LOCALIP here and $REMOTEIP at the other end of the link." >> /home/dproc/ipuplog

< Previous Next >
List Navigation