Dial-on-demand
  • From: "Craig Wyndham" <craig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 00:54:56 +1000
I'm running SuSE Linux 6.4 as a gateway to the Internet for my home LAN.
I can manually dial with wvdial and have /etc/ppp/ip-up successfully
restarting
SuSEfirewall, so that traffic flows to the Net. I have installed the
wvdial.dod script per the How-to from the SuSE support database, entitled
"wvdial and dial-on-demand" and have also applied the wvdial fix that
corrected a dial-on-demand problem, but dial-on-demand doesn't work.
(I can still dial manually.)

I suspect there might be a setting that is required in the firewall config
to allow packets to trigger the dial-on-demand, but I cannot find it.

If I set FW_DEV_WORLD_ppp0="192.168.99.1 255.255.255.0" (to force routing
to the local IP address defined in wvdial.dod) then routing no longer works.
Without such a setting, I cannot see how packets can get to pppd to trigger
a dial.

Has anyone any ideas on this?

/Craig Wyndham (Sydney, Australia)

  • No further messages