Migrating /etc/passwd from IRIX 5.3 to Linux
  • From: Yuri Robbers <yuri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:54:03 +0200

Hi,

I have an ancient Silicon Graphics machine here, running IRIX 5.3. Now
this machine needs to be replaced, and I intend to replace it with a
Linux box.
As one of my compatibility experiments I tried copying a test password
from the password field in the IRIX /etc/passwd to the password field in
/etc/shadow on my own Linux box. Unfortunately I was not able to log
in using this password. Does anyone know of a way to migrate my
/etc/passwd from IRIX to Linux, so that all my users can immediately log
into the new machine when it's installed?

Cheers!
Yuri.

drs. Yuri Robbers phone : +31-71-527-4966
Leiden University fax : +31-71-527-4900
Institute for Theoretical Biology email : robbers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kaiserstraat 63
2311 GP Leiden PGP 5.0 public key available:
the Netherlands Check your favourite hkp server.