Re: [suse-security] root fs read-only
  • From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:13:39 +0200
* Br√°ulio Gergull wrote on Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 14:23 -0300:
> > Usually it's a better idea to use a r/w mounted ramdisk I think.
> > One problem is, that i.e. /etc/mtab needs to be written, usually.
>
> Yep, also the kernel needs write access to everything under /var, otherwise
[...]
> Furthermore, /tmp quite often requires write access.

I found, that I could use symlinks for that directories, I had
such a config on a server running without problems. Sometimes
/var has it's own partition, and so /tmp. Another way seems to
put symlinks /tmp and /var pointing to a "own" (r/w of course)
partition, which at least decreases problems at system crashes,
what do you think?

oki,

Steffen