Re: [suse-security]: OpenSSH
  • From: Stefan Suurmeijer <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 17:03:59 +0200 (CEST)
On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Timo Schulz wrote:

> After I update my ssh version to openssh, I can't
> connect to the ssh daemon. ( Only local connections work. )
> The host is a SuSE/Linux 2.2 box.
>
> This is the connection output from ssh:
>
> SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol version 1.5.
> Compiled with SSL.
> debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> debug: ssh_connect: getuid 500 geteuid 0 anon 1
> debug: Connecting to myhost.net [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] port 22.
> debug: Connection established.
> debug: Calling cleanup 0x8057380(0x0)
>
> So, I take a look at the openssh source and find the error string
> in sshconnect.c. It seems that the host doesn't send the ident
> string to the daemon.
>
> Does anybody the the reason of this and how to fix it?

What version of ssh is the host you're trying to connect to running? If
it's a SSH2 server, then it doesn't automatically support the protocol
version you're using. You need to configure your SSH2 server with support
for SSH1 clients to make everything work correctly. See
http://www.cs.univ-paris8.fr/ssh/faq/ssh-faq-9.html#ss9.4 for a
description of how to set up SSH1 compatibility.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Timo
>
> --

hope this helps