Re: [suse-security] ZDNet: Scientists spot Achilles' heel of the Internet!
  • From: "Kurt Seifried" <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:22:52 -0600
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2607716,00.html

Gee wow. Same goes for any communications system that is international, the
trans oceanic links are few and far between. Same for long haul fiber links
in any country, some idiot in a backhoe managed to take out on of the main
pipes into Washington DC and really screw things up for a day a few years
back. I also remmeber a fiber cut, when I phoned UUNET they were like "sorry
sir, Pittsburgh, well... it's gone". hell, just last week someone locally
cut fiber between the Oliver CO and the centrex, leaving me hanging in the
wind for 12+ hours (road construction, everyone knew the fiber was there,
but someone made a mistake). Ditto for any road system, take out one or two
bridges in any major city and splat. This is hardly news. Calling them
cyberterrorists is stupid too, am I a cyberterrorist if I take a pair of
wirecuters and cut someone's phoneline with they are dialed in?

What does this have to do wth SuSE security BTW?

-Kurt